Salem, first caIled White Creek and then New Perth, was settled in August 1764 by Scottish pioneers from PeIham, Massachusetts. In the year 2000, the cemetery was mapped and the graves identified and indexed through a Student Learn and Serve Grant.In the spring of 1766, Dr. Thomas Clark arrived with his Scotch-Irish Presbyterian congregation from Ballybay, Ireland. The two groups cooperated in settling this territory and soon determined that a common burying ground was needed. This burying ground was Salem’s only public burying ground until the Evergreen Cemetery was established on March 5, 1859.
The Revolutionary War Cemetery restoration project will require much labor and dollars. Descendants of those buried in any of the town cemeteries or other interested volunteers are encouraged to contact Al Cormier, Historian, at 854-3527 or at email@example.com or Judy Flagg, 518-742-0878 firstname.lastname@example.org.
Since stone repairs will require purchase of materials and labor in some instances, donations will be gladly accepted. Checks can be made out to Town of Salem and sent to Al Cormier, Cemetery Committee, 36 E. Broadway, Salem, NY 12865.
A listing of those buried in The Revolutionary War Cemetery can be found at the following site: